Thursday, April 7, 2011

A Four-Eyed Frenzy: Meow!

When I was in third grade, I started the year off with perfect 20/20 vision. Over the course of the following six months or so, my eyes changed drastically and suddenly the optometrist was mentioning things like, "astigmatism" and "legally blind".

Initially I was fairly excited about getting glasses. Not only were they an accessory, the most popular girl in class wore glasses. Naturally I assumed wearing them would make me equally cool. That didn't really work out. It turns out there are any number of not-so-friendly nicknames that can be associated with wearing glasses. There are also special phrases, such as, "girls who wear glasses never get passes." What delightful ways to brainwash us into thinking glasses are not a worthwhile accessory.

In fact, glasses are a very easy-- and potentially practical-- way to play with your style. Rocking a pair of simplistic, classic frames certainly gives a different impression from a pair decked out in rhinestones.

I myself am fond of cat's eye glasses. This is nothing new. It is arguably the sexiest style of frames for women. I prefer plastic frames, because they are lightweight and more youthful. I also tend to gravitate toward classic colors, such as black or tortoiseshell. Everyone I have come into contact with in the past three months has heard of my obsession with Prada's Rectangular Cat Eye sunglasses, and a similar look is what I'm currently on the prowl for in the standard eyeglass arena.

The following are some of my favorites at the moment. In case you miss it by the watermark defiling all but one image, they can all be purchased at eyewearbrands.com.

Gucci GG3146 791 in Havana Prada PR16NV 1AB101 in Black

Ray Ban RX5226 2034 in Black Tom Ford TF173 "Nikita" 01B in Black

Realistically, I cannot drop a wad of cash on glasses at the moment. I am, as they say, a poor college student. As a resourceful young lady, I am constantly on the hunt for the perfect budget-friendly version of these gems. Case in point, the following image of me trying to decide if I should pick up a particular pair of frames to have prescription lenses into them. I sent this to a handful of friends who all instantly said "YES GET THEM!" but I'm still unsure... they are awfully enormous. Please disregard the high level of dorkdom being presented by my facial expression.


Yes I know how classy the tag hanging on them looks.



We shall see. Considering they ring in at $24.00 and are undeniably amusing, I may get them just for fun.

2 comments:

  1. Get them!!

    I really want purple glasses. But I also want to eat on the reg so my glasses will have to wait.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I still maintain the standpoint that you should get them.

    ReplyDelete