Thursday, February 17, 2011

I'm taking donations.


I love Lauren Hutton a lot. It's not because I have crooked teeth or something and identify with her. In fact, my mother works for an orthodontist, so these babies are straight straight straight. I do, however, LOVE the gap in her teeth and the fact that she did not feel the need to have it "corrected" in an effort to fit in with traditional standards of beauty in our society.

I feel kind of similarly about teeth as I do about hands. As long as they are clean and maintained, I'm a fan of whatever makes them different. Hands in particular can tell a story about where a person's life has been. Teeth, however, are something we are born with and inherently "us".

Physical beauty aside, I adore Lauren Hutton's style. She's classic American with a twist. Often I see pictures of her in hats and think, "I really wish I could pull that off." Hats just aren't my thing. I like to blame it my opinion that my head is excessively large for my body, but the truth is I am constantly on a quest to add more volume to my hair and hats are not the way to do that. No matter how many magazines publish articles claiming they've found a cure for hat hair, not a once have the tips worked.

Getting back to the subject at hand-- Lauren Hutton-- I would like to discuss a fabulous pair of jeans I discovered today at work. Based on their name, I'm assuming she was the inspiration. While wandering departments to pull looks for an appointment, I came upon these little gems and fell madly in love.

Citizens of Humanity "Hutton" Trousers
(Paradise wash)


Holy. Macaroni. I would love to pretend I reacted in an ultra cool fashion and simply grabbed them in my size to try on, but my reaction was a little more on par with how many people respond to hearing they're pregnant. I felt as though I had just found an extension of myself and responded accordingly:

"OH MY GOD. OH MY GOD. WHEN DID THESE COME IN?! Oh my god. I love them! BE IN MY LIFE! I need these. Watch my department, I have to go to my fitting rooms. Ahhh!"

To some extent I wish they would have looked like crap so I would feel a lot less inclined to drop, ehh, more money than I typically do on denim. They did not look crappy. In fact, they looked as though someone took my body, made a mold, and these jeans were sculpted on it. Very rarely do I discover pants that fit both my abnormally skinny legs and my adequately plump hind quarters without any alterations. The only problem was length, which I am accustomed to dealing with, and was certainly aided by the fantastic Vince Camuto "Mimis" sandal I tried them on with... I have a problem.

Let's be honest though, I wear pants very rarely and jeans only make appearances on occasion. Spending a sizeable chunk of change on a fabulous dress is way more excusable. With that said, I would be happy to wear these all day and sleep in them all night if that is what is necessary to own them. I also am willing to eat ramen noodles every day, two meals a day, to justify the hideously irresponsible expenditure on my Student Who Works (and drinks expensive vodka) Budget. I realize I could downsize the cost by cutting my cocktail intake, but I'm not willing to do that, so that's not even worth lingering on. Food I am much more willing to tighten my purse straps on.

So now I am wrestling with my choice to purchase them and rationalizing away the irresponsibility in my head because they are called "Hutton," a throwback to a style icon I love. Obviously it's meant to be! I really love them. The "paradise" wash is perfect. While I love the J Brand "Love Story" jeans, I don't love the wash I tried on because it's a lot darker than what I'm after. I love how fantastically faded the Citizens are. They embody that relaxed, 70s casual vibe I'm after in a bell bottom. Give me those and a blousy white button down and I will go to town with that ish.

Ahh. I want. I want I want I want!

No comments:

Post a Comment