Thursday, February 17, 2011

Wear your style on your sleeve.

I am fortunate to have a job that allows me to play with style a bit more than I could if I worked at say, a bank or a doctor's office. Our dress code is not very strict-- they even acknowledge a statement necklace or scarf as a "third piece". With that said, we do have rules about sleeves. Anything we wear needs to at least go past the edge of our shoulder and cover at least a smidgen of our arm.

As I was browsing ModCloth this evening, I discovered a plethora of dresses with sleeves on them. Now, while some people may not consider that a hot commodity, anyone who has ever worked in fashion retail can appreciate the frequent frustrations of customers in search of "dresses with sleeves". Generally the only things available are dowdy or very Mother of the Bride-esque. ModCloth, however, embraces the need for sleeves and provides a bountiful selection. Here are some of my favorites.

Made in Jade Dress

(They say to save the best for last, but this is one of my absolute favorites and I'm opting to start with it! Aside from the fantastic color, I am loving the wrap style of this. So often I try on wrap dresses and wonder exactly what I am supposed to do about the fact that it is hanging open all the way down to my belly button. This dress is far more demure. The sash is very trend right for Spring and Summer but still looks classic. Faboosh!)



Sketching Memories Dress

(How delightfully lady like! This dress will hug every curve without giving away the details. I look it at and instantly see a woman of relaxed good taste; can't you imagine the loose braid cascading over her left shoulder with a handful of strands threatening to fall free? I would wear this with a nude sandal or pump and accessorize with navy and gray baubles.)


Art Collector Dress
(This dress is impossibly chic. I feel as though anytime a woman wears ivory, white, eggshell-- whatever variation on those colors you prefer-- she exudes a certain elegance that cannot be captured by black. That is coming from a girl who wears black in some shape or form, as The Beatles would say, eight days a week. This is sleek and polished. What would be really fun would be to mix it up with an extremely saturated burgundy pump and sheer black hosiery. That would play up the femininity from a completely different angle!)



Flowers of Romance Dress

(Could this be any sweeter? I love the cornflower blue and marigold colored flowers on this. The shade of red is perfection and has just the right amount of orange. My favorite part is the neckline; it's low cut without being vulgar. That translates to a little cleavage without advertising the color of your bra... unless, of course, you want to. LOVE.)



Cover Charge Dress

(I realize this is not a sleeved dress per se, but I LOVE IT and think it would make a fantastic birthday night out dress for moi. I definitely have birthday on the brain since that special day is fast approaching.)

No comments:

Post a Comment