Wednesday, March 9, 2011

"Chanel-lo!"

Can we have a chat about advertising?

I really enjoy analyzing ads. I find the motivations to be interesting, as well as the potential for a story to be told. That may be a direct result of one of my favorite activities-- people watching and assigning them names, jobs, families, lives, etc.-- but advertisements really do hold the key to much of what fuels style.

For example, when the turban trend came on the scene I was fiercely opposed to it... but now, after a couple of months seeing scarves wrapped on any number of models heads, I want one. What?!

Advertisements in fashion really do have the potential to influence us greatly and guide our choices one way or the other. They can be the voice of the brand when fashion does not speak loudly enough, they can create a believer out of even the most disinterested. After all, my vegetarian self feels tempted entirely too often when I see advertisements for fantastic leather handbags... but I have no idea why! I generally steer clear of them!

Often times I find myself looking at advertisements of high end designers and wondering what prompted them choose a certain model or actress to promote their product via advertisement. Then it tends to become a discussion of what causes any particular starlet or model to become the next It girl.

I suppose my current question is why Chanel is so obsessed with Blake Lively? Actually, why are so many people obsessed with her? She dominates entirely too many pages in my monthly Vogue and I am not a fan. My primary theory is she has a phenomenal PR team pushing her face to the forefront of so many style magazines, and that kills me. I hate the idea of people being able to buy their way into anything, particularly the fashion industry. I hate it almost as much as I hate people who take credit for great style when it's actually the result of someone they hired to think for them.

In the case of Lively, she claims to not have a stylist. Good for her! I suppose that is impressive given the ease with which so many celebrities give in to the opportunity to have someone else express their points of view. All the same, I still do not understand the preoccupation so many people have with her. Perhaps I am alone in this, but I do not look at her and instantly think, "yes. She knows what she is doing." More often I look at her and think, "yes. If you put on Chanel, you will likely look fabulous."

And now, Chanel has taken her on as the face of their new Mademoiselle handbag line. Happily my research shows she is at the very least being quite humble about the opportunity. With that knowledge I decided to do a bit of Googling and found a few looks of hers I can get on board with. Hey, if Karl Lagerfeld can finally get on the faux-fur train, I can try to support Blake Lively.

Shown here with a beautiful Fendi handbag. Personally, the pink pants are what got my blood pumping!


Overly tan in my opinion, but I LOVE her pants! The top is very boobylicious, but tastefully so.

Stunning colors, adore the simplicity of her hair and makeup, phenomenal fit.

'
I think I can become a fan assuming she stops acting... or whatever you might want to call furrowing her brow and talking out of the corner of her mouth. Perhaps that is what is holding me back... because honestly, I would wear 90% of the looks I found images of her in. She has a great combination of a versatile color palette paired with many outfits involving classic white blouses and modern black pants or skirts. I maintain that she seems primarily fueled by lots of brand names and labels, but truth be told, who wouldn't take advantage of that if given the chance? I would like to see her expand by learning how to pair a $20.00 dress with a $650.00 shoe and still making the ensemble look like a million bucks. It will be interesting to see where her endeavors with Chanel take her.

No comments:

Post a Comment