Thursday, March 31, 2011

Oh My Galoshes!

Spring has sprung (supposedly) and it is high time we all start dressing for it! Despite the aggressive chill in the air and the fact that I am still needing to wear my heavy Winter coat, warmer temps and rainy days ought to be right around the corner.

As a little kid I remember seeing my dad wrap extremely odd looking rubbery things to his shoes during inclimate weather. Through the wisdom that comes with age (or google), I later came to find out he was putting on what are known as galoshes.

This picture makes them look infinitely more stylish than they actually are.


"Galoshes" is also a more entertaining word for rain boots. We've all been wearing thick, weather-resistant boots for the past few months, warding off the potential for a slip with heavy tread. Mine are by The North Face (trust me, I'm judging me more than any of you possibly can for that) and are insulated fleece with so much tread they look like I took the teeth of a monstrous beast and attached them to my boots. They have been wonderful for colder temperatures, but as we creep up to warmer weather-- which despite all reason to believe otherwise, we eventually will-- I know I will need something else.

Rainboots are typically made of rubber... and that's that. They're rubber and do not breathe, which in turn means they will protect my feet from wetness. Unless, of course, you count the wetness that is inevitable when it's a hot rainy day and I'm trekking all over campus in rubber shoes-- do I really need to explain the smelly consequences of such a choice? Rain boots are a necessary evil, though, and typically unattractive at that.

In my quest for all things stylish, I have tried to find rain boots that do not offend my eyes. My selections are as follows:

Jeffrey Campbell "Marsha" Over the Knee Rain Boot


Jeffrey Campbell "Voom" Rain Boot-- essentially a shorter version of the Marsha with a more traditional shine.



Cole Haan Air "Melanie" Suede Rain Boot


Tretorn Shoes "Emilie" Rain Boot



I realize some people like to do crazy patterns on their boots, flash the classic Burberry check, or wear their favorite sport team's emblem on them. I, however, do not. I do not need, nor do I want, more than one pair of rain boots. Let's face it, these rubbery beasts are pretty much going to be the bane of my existence come April (whose abundant rain showers are expected to bring May flowers). Limiting my boots to a single pair is ideal. I want something basic that will go with everything, not something I have to try and coordinate a handful of go-to outfits with. For me, they need to be sleek and simple, a mere addition to my wardrobe-- not the things that causes me to go shopping to make them work.

What's important to keep in mind is not everything that is waterproof is a suitable Spring rain shoe or boot. Many things are made waterproof to protect our feet, but will promptly look like absolute trash if used repeatedly in precipitation-heavy weather. The above mentioned Cole Haans are actually intended to be the exception to that rule; I have no idea what they do to the suede to make it water-resistant, but apparently they can handle major puddles.

It is also worth it to consider shoes that are water resistant, such as Aquatalia by Marvin K. These shoes are not necessarily always the most forward-thinking fashions, but they are quite weatherproof. In my opinion, they are an excellent option for someone looking to get something to wear from the car to the office without destroying their typical kicks in the rain.

Happy shopping! Truth be told, I'd much rather be getting these:

Vince Camuto "Malaya" Pump

No comments:

Post a Comment