Thursday, March 24, 2011

Skirting the Issue.

I am not a pants-wearing girl. I spend the vast majority of my time wearing skirts and dresses, occasionally slipping into pants for shock value. Nearly every time I wear them to work, I am bombarded with amused comments, typically guessing when the last time was anyone saw me in anything that required me to step in, one leg at a time: "what has it been, three months?" I have been trying to branch out. After all, I've even purchased designer denim in recent times. That, for me, is quite a landmark in my shopping history as of late.

I blame my affinity for all things mini, maxi and everywhere in between on my size. Standing a strong 5'2" and wearing sizes considered little, my body would seem simple enough to dress because, well, people generally assume every body type but their own is easy to dress. The truth is, my legs are not what you would consider long and though my hips are average size, my rear has just enough bubble to it to be annoyingly out of proportion with my waist. While alterations can be a beautiful thing, I am typically an instant gratification shopper: I need to walk out of the store knowing I can wear my purchases immediately or months later, whichever I prefer. That means no hemming and no nipping things in at the waist.

Skirts alleviate that issue.

Most of the time, I don't have to deal with any issues when wearing skirts. They just fit. Perhaps it is as predictable as falling into a stereotype: I have a feminine body, skirts are associated with traditional views of femininity, ifso facto skirts work on me. In addition to a vast collection of dresses, I have a wide array of skirts. Lengths aside, they have a variety of waist locations (low-riding, high-waisted), prints (tribal, floral, striped, even solids), and fabrications (silk, cotton, linen, and the Fabric That Shall Not Be Named, poly-blend). I'm a huge fan.

Yesterday, while helping a close girlfriend of mine shop for pieces to add to her wardrobe (hi Alanna!), I snatched up a few items for myself as well. While I realize Forever21 is the bane of many's existence, as a poor college student/fashion fiend, it is a necessary evil. Along with a wonderful, silky taupe maxi skirt, I purchased this wonderful paper bag waist skirt.

Abstract Floral Print Skirt from Forever21


I love the print. I'm pairing a rose colored burnout tank with it. I want a cream button down blouse to tuck into it over that tank, but I'll leave it open down to the belly button and roll up the sleeves. The waistband is my favorite detail.

The nice thing about the paper bag waist is it creates an exaggerated line. While it can be frustrating to deal with dressing curves on one's body, an hourglass figure is aesthetically appealing. The paper bag detail on this skirt creates a highly defined waistline, then flares both up and down to create full curves. Perfection.

In related news, here are a handful of skirts I am currently in love with.

Trina Turk "Shaye" Skirt


Marc by Marc Jacobs "Iris" Knit Pencil Skirt

Donna Karen Essential Jersey Drape Twist Skirt


BCBG MaxAzria Flared Faux Leather Skirt


No comments:

Post a Comment